Purpose, Purpose, Purpose
According to a recent Gallup Poll, 4 out of 5 college students believe it is very important to have a job that aligns directly with their purpose. To see the gap that exists with today’s Millennials and Gen Z entering the workforce, only 50% of those surveyed believe they have found their purpose at work. This means that a large percentage of college graduates are currently employed in positions that do not align to their values or purpose. At BIZNOVATOR’s Discover Workshop we begin teaching students as early as 8 years old the importance of discovering their purpose and pursuing their passions and interests.
To begin to address this gap and help our children lead successful and fulfilling lives, we would like to suggest 5 activities students should embrace before and during college.
- Secure at least 2 internships. All college aged students should be actively looking for, applying to and seeking out internships during their summer breaks. Employers want experience and there is no better way to show prospective companies your commitment and passion than to have multiple internships on your resume.
- Get a part time job. As a professional who has hired hundreds of people throughout my career, I always put a high value on college students who worked throughout school. A part time job has several benefits for college students – – you build character, establish discipline, gain work experience and of course, you get to “earn” money. Besides, you’ll appreciate and respect money once you work hard for it. Prospective employers will greatly respect a student who also worked during their college years.
- Seek out a mentor or coach immediately! For young people, it is of paramount importance to gain guidance and feedback from professionals who have experience and great standing in the community. When seeking out a mentor, be sure you know exactly what you would like from the working relationship and be able to clearly articulate the value you can bring to the relationship.
- Hone your interpersonal skills. As a young person you should seek out opportunities to interact with others aspiring young people and adults who can provide you good advice. In addition, take every opportunity to practice your interview and public speaking skills. Through this process, you will build confidence and invaluable experience.
- Seek out classes that include subject matter experts as speakers. When college students are exposed to the life experience of successful professionals, they will begin to see the world in a different way. Challenge yourself to engage with these professionals in dialogue. Do your research on these professionals and always have good questions ready to spark a conversation.
BIZNOVATOR is a youth empowerment platform that offers a year-round experience for young people interested in entrepreneurship, social innovation and global leadership. Through our seminars, workshops, summer camps and in school Academies, BIZNOVATOR helps young people to DISCOVER their purpose, TRANSFORM their mindset and CONNECT to their future. We have recently launched our Online Learning Platform, www.mybiznovator.com which enables young people from all over the world to experience our unique BIZNOVATOR programs. We invite you to join us!
Juan Pablo Casimiro is Founder and CEO of BIZNOVATOR. With more than 30 years of empowering youth and adults globally, Casimiro never misses a moment to teach, coach and challenge his clients to live their dreams. Casimiro was born in Dominican Republic and grew up in New York City.